Qoute from The EMT Spot

"There is a patient out there who is on a collision course with your skills. They don't know you yet. You've never met them either. They have no idea that they are going to meet you in the future, but the day they do, they will test you." From The EMT Spot

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Being Laid Up

I recently broke one of my ribs because of a fall and spent two days in the hospital, although I was well taken care of hated the whole experience. I was told I broke my 11th rib but was never told exactly where the rib was broken even though I asked several times point blank for the information. The doctors came into my room several times but I couldn't help feeling like they never really listened to what I had to say.
How do you think our patients feel? I hope as time goes by I will remember how I felt and take the time to actually listen to what is being said and not just blow it off as unimportant. I hope I don't give my patients the impression I am not really listening to what they have to say or that they are unimportant.
I have also had to drop out of the paramedic program due to my injury and will have to start over again in September when the next class starts. This gives me a unique opportunity to correct mistakes I made the first time in terms of how I prepared for the class. I also have the added boost of the two biggest things about the class I was afraid of failing I have already been exposed to and know that I can do them. I am looking forward to the challenges ahead and don't have nearly as much fear, this is a good thing and I have a unique opportunity ahead, not to mention the added study time time while I am recuperating and waiting for class to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment