Qoute from The EMT Spot

"There is a patient out there who is on a collision course with your skills. They don't know you yet. You've never met them either. They have no idea that they are going to meet you in the future, but the day they do, they will test you." From The EMT Spot

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Too Much Information For A Paramedic

I read this post and have to comment! I can't speak for anybody else but I don't think it is possible to have too little education if you work in the EMS field, and it doesn't make any sense to me for someone to say it is too much information. I will admit that I have been to training opportunities that I wasted because I didn't know enough to take full advantage of them but that was not the fault of the instructor. There are two things that I need to start doing and the first is to stop finding out what the bare minium is that I have to do to make sure I pass the course. I have gone back to class after breaking my rib and right out of the gate found myself ill prepared because I didn't allow myself enough time to prepare. I guess I am trying to say that it's not too much information, it's just that I'm not always willing to put forth the effort to learn the information I have available to me and it might force me to work on improving myself. I don't think that makes me any different than the individual that is mentioned in the post above. (I really hope you bothered to read the other post by this point!) This probably makes both of us just like alot of other people in the world, but doesn't help make us better human beings or paramedics. You have to struggle every day against the urge to be just good enough or just trained enough. You have to struggle against the idea that you aren't quite smart enough or the job is too difficult for you and you are good enough now and don't need to be any better or maybe can't be any better. I hope I can always push myself to be better; I may not always succeed, but I hope I always care enough about my patients and myself to keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment